Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Link to an Access table from SQL Server

I'm trying to find how to link to an Access table from within SQL Server. I know I have seen it once, but can not remember where I saw it. I'm using SQL Server 2005.

TIA,Not sure it's the "best" way, but you can create a linked server to an Access db in SQL 2000 (don't have 2005 yet). From there you can get at the data in QA, etc.|||Thanks Paul, but where do I go within SQL Server to create a linked server?

I can't find the menu/or whatever to use to get to the "Add Linked Server" or whatever it is called, page/dialog box.|||In Enterprise Manager, it's under the Security folder. I did it through there to test, but according to BOL you can also:

Execute sp_addlinkedserver to create the linked server, specifying Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 as provider_name, and the full path name of the Access .mdb database file as data_source. The .mdb database file must reside on the server. data_source is evaluated on the server, not the client, and the path must be valid on the server.

For example, to create a linked server named Nwind that operates against the Access database named Nwind.mdb in the C:\Mydata directory, execute:

sp_addlinkedserver 'Nwind', 'Access 97', 'Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0',
'c:\mydata\Nwind.mdb'|||Thanks Paul,

Under Security? I knew the first time I found it I thought it was in a strange place, and I've always had a hard time remembering where things are until after I've used them several times. I usually remember where my golf clubs are though. :)

Vic|||If you're like me, the clubs are always in the trunk, ready for any last minute opportunities! Though as I stare at the 6" of fresh snow on my deck right now, I must admit those opportunities are few and far between this time of year. :eek:

Maybe I should roll down there this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment