Friday, March 30, 2012

Link two dataSet in the same report

Hi !
I use ms sql server 2005, and I have a problem
I have a dataBase where I have a lot of data, I have a webServices which calculate indicator for a time period and an id indicator. The time period must be specific and choose by the user, so I can't dto automatically by integrating the data from my webService in a dataBase (with IntegrationServices).
So I create a report with 2 dataset, one which recover the indicator value for each equipment (the webService send a list of {<idEquipment> and <value>}) , and I want to link the idEquipment with the IdEquipement in my dataBase, it would allow me to know other informations about the equipment :
equipement ID | Indicator value (from webServices) | equipment name | eq number | cumul of event duration for this eq....
All in the same grid...
Does it possible ?
If it is possible with the report designer, does it possible with report builder, as report builder need a model, how can i do to make a model from 2 dataSource...
thank you for your answer...

You may want to explore using SSIS as a data source or a custom object, or connect to the web service from SQL Server passing the parameters to it.

I was once able to use hash tables in custom code to store the data, with hidden fields for setting the values, but I'm not sure if that is feasable anymore as I could not replicate it.

cheers,

Andrew

|||Hi Andrew, and thank you for your answer.
As i explain, it is not possible to us to integrate our data with SSIS because our webService need parameter define by user, if we pass our own parameter, there will have too much data and user cannot change them after.
So I need to call my web Service methode in my report, because it is at this moment that the user can and have to choose his param. So I have already doing a dataSet which recover the data from the web Service.
Now I need to know if it possible to do like a 'inner join' between two dataSet (one from my web Service, and the other from my olap cube) ?
I already use BIRT (Java) and it is possible to do it, but I didn't see this 'option' in Reporting Services. Maybe there is an easy way or another way to do that... I hope so.

Thank you to read...
|||

Hi Alineo,

It's not possible to join two different datasets inside the report itself.

Hope you can find alternate means. You should be able to pass parameters to a web service by using SSIS or SQL Server.

cheers,

Andrew

|||excuse me, but I don't understand how, to do.
I need just this information when the user run the report... so it isn't possible to use integrating services, because (it is what I understand) the integration will generate automatically and before... So the user cannot give it param to it, just the developper can do it, and as I told you, the developper cannot do all the possibility in parameter.
The parameter in a time period (from ... to ...) so ....
Ok so it is not possible !!
thank you for your answer....
|||

Here's how to use a parameter from SSIS if you want to go down this road.

http://blogs.msdn.com/bimusings/archive/2006/07/19/using-a-parameterized-ssis-package-as-a-data-source-for-sql-reporting-services.aspx

Integration services runs when the report runs.

cheers,

Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment