Friday, March 30, 2012

Link two server

Dear community
I have two SQL Server 7.0 one on Win2000 second on NT SP6
I would like to link them in order to use information from both of them for
reports.
To have same stored procedures on both servers I would like to name links
same way on both servers.
At the begin servers were able to see each other only using IP address. I
created corresponding to IP names and windows server names records into
LMHOSTS and then was able to use server names to create links.
Then I tried to create entries into HOSTS file where actual IP addresses
are refers to names I would like to have ( names are completely different to
name of any server into the network and have only alphabetic characters).
The strange thing is on WIN2000 I can create a link with name as defined
into HOSTS file but on NT4 that did not work . I cleared IP cache after any
change into LMHOSTS or HOSTS on both sites and I can ping with no problem
WIN2000 server from NT4 server site with any name I pointed into HOSTS.
Can somebody give an idea how to make that work ?
I was thinking about restarting NT4 server, but network administrator
doesn't want even hear about that.
Any ideas will be very much appreciated
With best regards
VitoYou can create a true linked server that will allow you to execute a =
select statement like the following:
SELECT * FROM SomeServer.pubs.dbo.authors
Where SomeServer is the name of the linked server that you defined.
The easiest way to create a linked server is to do so within Enterprise =
Manager. Open up the security tab, right-click on linked servers, =
choose new linked server, hit the 'SQL Server' radio button, type in the =
name of the server, set the security options and you are done. You =
should be able to select from the linked server. If you want to give =
the linked server a different name from the name of the SQL Server that =
you are linking to you can do so by typing whatever name you want to =
give your linked server within the text box and make sure that you =
specify Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server within the Provider =
name list box.
--=20
Keith
"VS" <nospam@.please.thanks> wrote in message =
news:WEdoc.49795$wY.17731@.nwrdny03.gnilink.net...
> Dear community
> I have two SQL Server 7.0 one on Win2000 second on NT SP6
>=20
> I would like to link them in order to use information from both of =
them for
> reports.
> To have same stored procedures on both servers I would like to name =
links
> same way on both servers.
>=20
> At the begin servers were able to see each other only using IP =
address. I
> created corresponding to IP names and windows server names records =
into
> LMHOSTS and then was able to use server names to create links.
> Then I tried to create entries into HOSTS file where actual IP =
addresses
> are refers to names I would like to have ( names are completely =
different to
> name of any server into the network and have only alphabetic =
characters).
> The strange thing is on WIN2000 I can create a link with name as =
defined
> into HOSTS file but on NT4 that did not work . I cleared IP cache =
after any
> change into LMHOSTS or HOSTS on both sites and I can ping with no =
problem
> WIN2000 server from NT4 server site with any name I pointed into =
HOSTS.
>=20
> Can somebody give an idea how to make that work ?
> I was thinking about restarting NT4 server, but network administrator
> doesn't want even hear about that.
>=20
> Any ideas will be very much appreciated
>=20
> With best regards
> Vito
>=20
>

No comments:

Post a Comment