Monday, March 19, 2012

Line Chart

I have a line chart where I am displaying values (x axis) for a 30 day period
(y axis) for 4 different regions (series). My problem is that when the chart
is displayed it is repeating a series value although that series does only
appear 30 times. If I change the series to only display 1 region the problem
still occurs. I think it may have something to do with zero values returned
in dataset ie
Day Region value
1 A 0
2 A 1.2
3 A 0
4 A 1.5
If I put a filter on to start at day 2 then I do not have the problem,
however I don't neccessarily know what day would be the first one without a
zero value.
I can return values only above zero but I'd prefer to plot that zero value
on the graph.Assuming you have RS 2000 SP2 installed, you can try the following:
Change the dataset (or use a calculated field or use an IIF expression in
the chart value expression), so that 0 is represented as NULL in the dataset
(or as VB: Nothing in the RDL expression). Then the "zero" value datapoints
will be interpreted as "empty" points, but on the other hand you should
still get the x-axis starting with 1.
-- Robert
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Me and SRS" <Me and SRS@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D087DFC5-1822-4685-819A-4D768FD80618@.microsoft.com...
>I have a line chart where I am displaying values (x axis) for a 30 day
>period
> (y axis) for 4 different regions (series). My problem is that when the
> chart
> is displayed it is repeating a series value although that series does only
> appear 30 times. If I change the series to only display 1 region the
> problem
> still occurs. I think it may have something to do with zero values
> returned
> in dataset ie
> Day Region value
> 1 A 0
> 2 A 1.2
> 3 A 0
> 4 A 1.5
> If I put a filter on to start at day 2 then I do not have the problem,
> however I don't neccessarily know what day would be the first one without
> a
> zero value.
> I can return values only above zero but I'd prefer to plot that zero value
> on the graph.|||Thanks for your help and to a degree this works, but I want to plot the zero
value when it shows even if it is the first value. For some regions I may
not get a reading till the 10th day so in the chart that line will now not
appear till half way thru the graph and depending on circumstances may end on
the 25th day. Originally I am plotting the zero values but just get
duplicates for the series.
We are using RS 2000 SP2.
Thanks
"Robert Bruckner [MSFT]" wrote:
> Assuming you have RS 2000 SP2 installed, you can try the following:
> Change the dataset (or use a calculated field or use an IIF expression in
> the chart value expression), so that 0 is represented as NULL in the dataset
> (or as VB: Nothing in the RDL expression). Then the "zero" value datapoints
> will be interpreted as "empty" points, but on the other hand you should
> still get the x-axis starting with 1.
>
> -- Robert
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
> "Me and SRS" <Me and SRS@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D087DFC5-1822-4685-819A-4D768FD80618@.microsoft.com...
> >I have a line chart where I am displaying values (x axis) for a 30 day
> >period
> > (y axis) for 4 different regions (series). My problem is that when the
> > chart
> > is displayed it is repeating a series value although that series does only
> > appear 30 times. If I change the series to only display 1 region the
> > problem
> > still occurs. I think it may have something to do with zero values
> > returned
> > in dataset ie
> > Day Region value
> > 1 A 0
> > 2 A 1.2
> > 3 A 0
> > 4 A 1.5
> > If I put a filter on to start at day 2 then I do not have the problem,
> > however I don't neccessarily know what day would be the first one without
> > a
> > zero value.
> > I can return values only above zero but I'd prefer to plot that zero value
> > on the graph.
>
>|||I seem to have fixed the problem. Even though dataset returned the correct
amount of records (4 * 30) I was still getting duplicate rows in the series.
Had to use the TRIM function on the series field in the chart and just like
that the duplicates disappeared.
Thanks for your help.
"Me and SRS" wrote:
> Thanks for your help and to a degree this works, but I want to plot the zero
> value when it shows even if it is the first value. For some regions I may
> not get a reading till the 10th day so in the chart that line will now not
> appear till half way thru the graph and depending on circumstances may end on
> the 25th day. Originally I am plotting the zero values but just get
> duplicates for the series.
> We are using RS 2000 SP2.
> Thanks
> "Robert Bruckner [MSFT]" wrote:
> > Assuming you have RS 2000 SP2 installed, you can try the following:
> >
> > Change the dataset (or use a calculated field or use an IIF expression in
> > the chart value expression), so that 0 is represented as NULL in the dataset
> > (or as VB: Nothing in the RDL expression). Then the "zero" value datapoints
> > will be interpreted as "empty" points, but on the other hand you should
> > still get the x-axis starting with 1.
> >
> >
> > -- Robert
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> >
> >
> > "Me and SRS" <Me and SRS@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:D087DFC5-1822-4685-819A-4D768FD80618@.microsoft.com...
> > >I have a line chart where I am displaying values (x axis) for a 30 day
> > >period
> > > (y axis) for 4 different regions (series). My problem is that when the
> > > chart
> > > is displayed it is repeating a series value although that series does only
> > > appear 30 times. If I change the series to only display 1 region the
> > > problem
> > > still occurs. I think it may have something to do with zero values
> > > returned
> > > in dataset ie
> > > Day Region value
> > > 1 A 0
> > > 2 A 1.2
> > > 3 A 0
> > > 4 A 1.5
> > > If I put a filter on to start at day 2 then I do not have the problem,
> > > however I don't neccessarily know what day would be the first one without
> > > a
> > > zero value.
> > > I can return values only above zero but I'd prefer to plot that zero value
> > > on the graph.
> >
> >
> >

No comments:

Post a Comment