Monday, March 26, 2012

Link Server to SQL2000 from SQL2005 64bit

Hello All,
I setup a link to my SQL2000, everything seem fine except when I try to
query the SQL 2000 database. I get the following error:
OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "ces012" returned message
"Unspecified error".
OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "ces012" returned message "The
stored procedure required to complete this operation could not be found on
the server. Please contact your system administrator.".
Msg 7311, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
Cannot obtain the schema rowset "DBSCHEMA_TABLES_INFO" for OLE DB provider
"SQLNCLI" for linked server "ces012". The provider supports the interface,
but returns a failure code when it is used.
I search on the web and it tells me to run the instcat.sql on the SQL2000
server.
Do you see any problem after I run this script? Are there anyway I can back
out?
Thanks.
It should be no problem, I would take a backup of the Master database first.
You can run the script if you have SP3 or SP4 applied on SQL 2000. You can
restore your master if you want to back out.
You can refer to this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906954
Ayad Shammout
"David" <David@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:DDC6A798-9099-47FB-A2FC-EEF7ABF1D1B4@.microsoft.com...
> Hello All,
> I setup a link to my SQL2000, everything seem fine except when I try to
> query the SQL 2000 database. I get the following error:
> OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "ces012" returned message
> "Unspecified error".
> OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "ces012" returned message "The
> stored procedure required to complete this operation could not be found on
> the server. Please contact your system administrator.".
> Msg 7311, Level 16, State 2, Line 1
> Cannot obtain the schema rowset "DBSCHEMA_TABLES_INFO" for OLE DB provider
> "SQLNCLI" for linked server "ces012". The provider supports the interface,
> but returns a failure code when it is used.
> I search on the web and it tells me to run the instcat.sql on the SQL2000
> server.
> Do you see any problem after I run this script? Are there anyway I can
> back
> out?
> Thanks.
>
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment